Preston – Fulltime – Perm
Are you looking for your next challenge? Baxi Heating is a leading provider of environmentally friendly and efficient heating solutions across a range of leading domestic and commercial brands. We have over 150 years of experience, pride ourselves on our values and strive for earning lifetime loyalty with our customers.
As part of this drive for improvement an exciting vacancy has arisen within our R&D department for a Technical Manager (Design Engineering) based at our Preston operation reporting to the R&D Manager and working alongside the Technical Manager (Development Engineering) and Senior project manager. You will manage a team of Engineers involved in the creation of New Products, supporting current product Improvements through Product Changes and Product Approvals. All projects will be conducted while meeting Time, Cost and Specification targets. The Projects will also support our international colleagues throughout the BDR Thermea Group companies.
- Responsible for the introduction and management of new Technology within the R&D Department, including people, planning and budgets.
- Provide leadership and demonstrate expert technical knowledge and market appreciation within the specific Technology areas.
- Development of the products and co-ordination of individual projects to deliver to agreed Product Roadmaps and approved SOR’s, in consultation with other internal departments including Product Management, Production, Quality and external technology partners.
- Responsible for the allocation of resources to New Product projects and Engineering changes, within agreed project and budget programme.
- Manage and develop a team including, PDRs, IDPs, succession planning and discipline, to co-ordinate and deliver objectives successfully.
- Development of good working relationships with functional managers to secure cross-functional resources, and ensure robust processes are in place, to deliver New Product projects to UK and International markets.
- Responsible for the co-ordination and communication of cross functional teams within the organisation to manage key project deliverables and report on progress.
- To provide technical leadership and support to all team members within specified projects, with effective use of internal and external resource, providing innovative solutions.
- To effectively Resource plan technical design activities, projects and change to meet agreed time, cost, specification, and reliability.
- To ensure that projects comply with current legislation, Health and Safety regulations, Building/Water Regulations, Company ISO 9001/14001 Systems and strict compliance with R&D Reliability and Document Control best practice.
- To ensure that projects adhere to company, New Product Development, Engineering Change and Project Management processes.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience Required:
- A minimum qualification of an engineering degree or equivalent
- Over five years’ experience in a Senior Engineering role with several years’ experience in a related managerial role is essential.
- The jobholder must be technically competent in a wide range of engineering skills and must have extensive knowledge of design and project management relating to New Product Introduction. The jobholder must be capable of managing numerous ongoing key projects, some of which may be outside his/her normal experience.
- Excellent Organisational, analytical, communications and interpersonal skills are a pre-requisite of this position. Must be fully conversant with product standards and legislation requirements, with knowledge of CAD and Design management, with a strong Engineering background in product design., in preferably one of the following areas: HVAC/renewable Energy/Energy production and-or storage technology, Thermal and fluid dynamics or consumer products.
- A working knowledge in product approvals, legislation, and technical files (DOC/CE) for specific markets is key to being successful in this role. A working knowledge and experience of, development and change processes, to implement effective product launches and product changes.
We offer a competitive salary alongside 25 days holiday per annum not including UK bank holidays. We also offer a contributory pension and sick pay schemes, staff discounts and more.
Does this sound like you? Then we would love to hear from you!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs via our online recruitment system. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.